Sunday, November 7, 2010

MWA approves Sophia Press


I got news Friday that the Mystery Writers of America Board designated Sophia Institute Press as an 'approved' publisher, which means I can change my membership status from 'affiliate' to 'active' (full) and take part in Midwest Chapter promotional events, such as Printers' Row Book Festival in Chicago. I really feel like I belong to 'the club' now. Thanks, Sophia Press, for submitting the paperwork, and thanks, MWA, for the approval.

MWA 'approves' publishers who put out a certain number of titles per year and pay their authors a minimum of $1,000 for an advance. Only books from the approved list of publishers can be eligible for awards (such as The Edgar) and be listed in "The Third Degree" newsletter when they're released.

Speaking of...

Sophia Press tells me that VIPER should be out in early January now instead of before Christmas, as first hoped. Staff in the office, as well as the out-of-house proofreader, had illnesses and family emergencies, delaying the release date. The editor, who also assists in this process, delivered a new baby into the world a couple weeks ago (congrats, Regina and Andrew!) and so she's been preoccupied as well. At least the book will be out in time for the February "Love is Murder" mystery conference in Chicago.

I began outlining the third book in the series last night. I suppose having the extra hour after changing the clocks motivated me.

(photo: Selena De La Cruz returns in - well, I don't have a title yet. I guess it should end with -ER to match BLEEDER and VIPER).

No comments: