Thursday, May 27, 2010

Finished draft of VIPER


Yesterday I wrote those wonderful and frightening words, THE END. The first full draft of VIPER is done. This sequel to BLEEDER features a minor character from BLEEDER as the protagonist, Latina insurance agent Selena De La Cruz.


I pushed very hard these past two weeks, since Commencement at my college, hoping to deliver a draft to my editor by the end of May as I'd promised. So it is ready, a few days early. I've sent a copy to my Latina reader who checks the ms for cultural accuracy and sensitivity, correctness in the Spanish (she's a professional translator), and to provide general feedback. So far she likes it and says I'm getting the Latina stuff right.


The editor suggested that we might be able to do all the editing, rewriting and designing over summer and aim for a Christmas release. So here's hoping.


The draft came in at 60,000 words, 311 pages, a bit shy of what I'd hoped for (65-70K, 320-350 pages). But this happened with BLEEDER, too, and I'm not too concerned about it.


So now I'm thinking ahead about promotion - well, only a little - but I don't want to count too many chickens before they hatch, as it were. I have plenty of promotional chores for BLEEDER at the moment to keep me busy, too.
For now, I'll mix a Margarita (Selena likes them) and relax a little.

No comments: